Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Late September raspberries

The raspberries are still going strong, and tasting great!  They almost seem to be glowing in these pictures, and I'm wondering if it's because the sun was behind them?  I could barely see the screen on my phone to take the pictures, so I was surprised to see how great they turned out once I got back in the house.


So we had one night dip down to about 40F (there was even talk of frost risk), but then we're back up into the 50s for the lows, 70s for the highs for the rest of the week.  I'm guessing the raspberries will have gotten through the one cold night just fine.  Right now some are going in my belly, probably more are going in Daisy's belly, some are getting shared with neighbors/coworkers, and the majority are going in the freezer.  I hope to be making some really tasty SEEDLESS jelly later...we'll see how that goes.


Oh, and that's the asparagus fronds the raspberries are growing up through.  They seem to do well interplanted with each other.  It wasn't intentional - one end of the bed was meant to be raspberries, the other asparagus.  Oh silly newbie gardener - you didn't yet know how much raspberries like to spread....

No comments: