Saturday, November 18, 2006

Oreos on Smallville!

Ok, perhaps a more appropriate title would've been "Martian Manhunter on Smallville!"

We were watching this week's Smallville, with Clark hot on the trail of a non-phantom criminal released from the Phantom Zone. I kept trying to decide if he was supposed to be any particular character from the comics, what with his need to consume bone from his victims, but couldn't come up with anything. I was enjoying parts of the episode (the whole "trapped in another frequency" thing that Jimmy saved Lex and Lana from; and just Jimmy being a downright cutie), and other parts were really not doing it for me (this unbelievable relationship between Lana and Lex, and now she's pregnant!? Ha!)

And then Clark was about to get a back-breaking move from the Phantom Zone criminal when a blur zipped past him (ok, they're in Seattle - is that where they last left off with Kid Flash since we know he's supposed to make a return this season?). Hm, didn't ring any bells. And then something took the criminal out from behind - didn't seem like a very Kid Flash maneuver... Who could it be!? I had a hard time even telling what the handprint was on the back of the criminal until Brett rewound, paused and pointed it out. OOOOH! Ok, I see fingers now...plus a triangular slice effect where the palm would've been, maybe? Brett thought it looked like the handprint would've been there to imply the heart was ripped out. Not sure.

Then, as Clark's walking away, he steps on an...OREO!?

Oh, you gotta be kidding me!!

Nabisco surely did their research, found out J'Onn J'Onzz (aka The Martian Manhunter) was known for looooving Oreos during the goofy period of the Justice League during the late 80s/early 90s, and said "hey, we can throw in some advertising through the introduction of a JLA character! Let's do it!"

Ok, I might be taking a little liberty with that. But seriously - if J'Onn's going to be portrayed as the detective that he's supposed to be in the comics, he wouldn't accidentally be dropping off Oreos everywhere unless he wants Clark to find him.

Or we're going to find out Oreos come from Martian butts.

Anyhow - once we saw the Oreo I said "Martian Manhunter!? NO WAY!" and continued with the disbelief (and hopes I might be wrong). I'm just not sure how well The Martian Manhunter will be portrayed... I hated the glow effect for his eyes - they looked "too glowy!" The flying was really nice (although I'm not certain how he'd get that red glowy trailing effect?!)

So...who knows where this will go... Does the guy pictured below look at all like he could be the guy pictured above!? I was surprised I hadn't heard anything about this in advance - but I guess that's what makes it fun NOT knowing the spoilers! A little research tonite confirmed it is the Martian Manhunter. Wonder if he'll tie into the upcoming episode where Ollie gathers Kid Flash (Flash?) and Cyborg for a Justice League!? Really looking forward to that! Sure, it runs the risk of jumping the shark for the show, but I don't care!!! :) (Grinning like an idiot!)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been watching Smallville since it first came out. I think you are right on key with your theory. As for the Oreos, I think he is leaving them on purpose for Clark to find. He probably already knows Clark's secret. If not than why did he find a oreo in the barn back in Kansas? MM already knows about Clark and it will probably revealed how in a later episode.

Jeph said...

Just three more days and...

Oh wait, I don't think there's a new episode on Thanksgiving, hunh? Guess we'll have to wait a little longer. Wonder how long they'll stretch this out?

Anonymous said...

I had my hubby read your post on this and he said you are right on.. He was puzzled by the MM, but when he read JONZZZZ he said YES in a very loud tone.. He was excited.. He didn't know about the oreos, and neither did I , but he thought the powers were identical.

As for this Lana crap with Lex HATE IT!!!!
I am excited for the Justic League episode.. I think Aquaman will return as well, and possibly Seattle because of the Puget Sound right there.. Like the foreshadowing you were alluding to.

I didn't see a preview with last episode, so I suspect as you there is not a new episode..

Anonymous said...

I thinks it's awesome they are bringing some more characters in. Maybe they can spin off a Justice League show. Call it "Justice". Oh and by the way, I wish Lana would die! Die Lana, DIE!