Friday, December 15, 2006

Salvaged pumpkins

With all our cold weather recently (we're in a warm spell right now), temps were dropping down below freezing levels for too many consecutive days, so I decided I better salvage a few of the pumpkins (Rumbo squash technically) that I grew in the garden. I've left some of these and some of the standard pumpkins out for the critters.

Turns out the pumpkins HAD frozen, and were just a tad soft once they warmed up - one's still hard because I've had it indoors since I picked it, and the others needed to have something done with them. It's a good thing to force my hand with something like this - I'm a total procrastinator! So I quartered each of the pumpkins, scraped out the seeds and fibers, and roasted them for over an hour on parchment paper. I was amazed with how much moisture came out of them (good thing I used sheet pans with sides!).

I didn't get any post-roasting pics of them - wish I would've. The exteriors were a very attractive mottled darker version of the color you see below. Once they cooled off and sat in the fridge, the innards got pale - bummer - but were much easier to scrape out. Now I've got three 2-cup bags and one 1-cup bag of homegrown pumpkin in the freezer! I've read homegrown processed pumpkin doesn't taste nearly as pumpkiny as canned pumpkin for pies, but I figure I'll try using them in something else and see how they turn out - maybe in pumpkin bread? Maybe I'll get real wild and do ravioli with them!?

Anyhow - here are the pics of the sliced goodies before roasting - look at that amazing orange color!






This is the same variety I grew last year for the first time that fends off the critters like no other pumpkin I've grown, ANNNNND they hold up an incredibly long time - mom JUST threw out the ones I gave her LAST summer this fall!!

And for what it's worth, I've been trying to submit pics/entries (as drafts) from Picasa, even with scaled down versions of hi-res pics, and it's just not happening. Does anyone else reading this use Picasa and, if so, any luck? Any suggestions?

3 comments:

the ginger tabby said...

Wow - lovely pumpkins! :)

Peter said...

Ravioli? Daring! What will Brett eat that night?

Jeph said...

Thanks Ginger!

Peter - maybe I'll get him some Chef Boyardee Ravioli!? ;-)

And Carla - I know you're skulking around here in the shadows - come out, come out, where ever you are! ;-)

I'm not making PROMISES on the ravioli - I'm just saying that I think the stuff probably isn't packed with ENOUGH flavor for a bread, so maybe ravioli would be ok? Any other suggestions? Something less labor intensive than ravioli?