Friday, June 13, 2008

This is not a fancy tuna salad recipe...

Bright and early this morning I got an email from Sherry letting me know Farmgirl had posted a swiss-chard-using recipe for tuna salad. I agree with Sherry - it's a most unusual looking version of tuna salad, and DEFINITELY worth a shot, especially since it uses up a bunch of chard.

Knowing Finny and I have both been trying to find new recipes, I thought about sending her the link - and then realized she'd already seen it over at Farmgirl's site, and had commented. Hmm.... Ok, let's make this a challenge - I emailed her and threw down the gauntlet - challenging her to see who could make this swiss-chard-filled recipe first. Right after sending the email, I rain outside and picked the garden. in addition to chard, I also got a small handful of sugar snap peas (just because they were read), plus an underdeveloped red onion and some barely-there-yet parsley - both needed for the recipe. Came back inside and whipped up something that looked REALLY good - with the intention of letting it sit in the fridge a few hours to mingle the flavors. Oh what the heck - I'm SURE it'd be just as good for breakfast! Here - what do you think:


Hmmm...waitasec - there's NO TUNA in that bowl!

Yeah, y'see, turns out we're outta tuna and I didn't realize it when I challenged Finny.

Oops. Plus, later in the day I got email back saying she'd already made it before I even knew about it, and she had to make her own adjustments. Granted, mine were more extreme - like, um, ok, no tuna - how about chick peas instead!? And why not cut the snap peas into bit size pieces and add them? Salt and pepper...some lemon juice and olive oil. A LIGHT sprinkling of crushed red pepper. Hm, boil up a handful of orzo to throw in! Back outside for some chives and mint! Ok, now this stuff is GOOOOOD! Oh, and the view didn't hurt:


Yeah, so there's my non-tuna-salad breakfast.


Turns out I had a breakfast guest as well... S/he preferred the flowers.


No, I don't have any measurements - but if it sounds good to you, just wing in some of the listed ingredients above and see what turns out. Trust me - well worth the experiment!


And then, after all that....I got back to the wedding cake/cupcakes.... I'll post on that a little later...

6 comments:

Peter said...

Looks like a fine, fresh salad - and immensely satisfying, I'm guessing, thanks to the contribution from your own garden.

FinnyKnits said...

You're my favorite kind of crazy. And kudos to you for posting your recipe first - mine will probably go up next week once I get done manhandling the squash taking over the back yard.

And orzo instead of tuna? I like this! Especially since you added chickpeas to add protein.

Truth be told, I almost made mine without tuna but my friend offered to trade me a can of tuna for a ride home from work. Sold!

We can swap recipes once I get mine locked and loaded.

You win!

the ginger tabby said...

The salad looks perfect for this time of year!

Jeph said...

ROFL Finny - so why is it neither of us has the staple can of tuna on our shelves?

Must buy tuna!

Oh wait - why bother, I think I found a tasty alternative.

And you're totally right Tabby - this was a very SUMMERY tasting salad (only today it's downright chilly - but I'm not complaining after the recent heatwaves)

You nailed it Peter - I'm working garden stuff in to many meals right now. Even though some stuff, like the bolting bok choy and lettuce, is now going to waste, I'm using all I can.

FinnyKnits said...

Locked and loaded - with tuna! (Thanks to my nice friend who pitied me in my moment of tuna need)

This may also be on the table for dinner tonight. Since, you know, the chard has regrown since then.

Jeph said...

I had to make do without Pity Tuna. LOL!