Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Are you looking at my lemons?

Check out these babies!


True, the lower half of the tree looks baaaad, but the top half has plenty of vibrant green growth. It's the bottom half that has all the lemons from this summer. But once it was time to bring the dwarf Meyer lemon tree in this fall, it dropped leaves like crazy!

I'm hoping it survives winter and perks back up in the spring... Maybe I shouldn't have let it have so many lemons while it was so young - I suppose they could be sucking too much of it's energy. Just like how you're supposed to remove something like 2/3 of the fruit off of a pear or apple tree each year? (Don't quote me on that!) Oh well, I live in Ohio, and I don't have a green house or any south-facing windows...we'll see how this goes.

So now I've got one really ripe lemon and a couple more coming up right behind it. What do I do with these lemons!? I guess I should hop on over to Finny's site and see what wonderful things she's done with the lemons from her monster lemon tree (and it's good to see her lemons are small too!).

Oh look at me - checking out a girl's lemons! Mom'll be so proud!

Addendum: Aw crap - I just checked out the recipe for that great looking cake Finny made. Gee, who knew it'd be a MARTHA recipe! (The woman is EVERYWHERE!) But seriously - FIVE meyer lemons? Dammit- as you can tell from the pics above, there's no way I'll be able to pull that off....I'm not going to have five lemons all ripe at the same time on my tree. :( Does anyone have recommended recipes using 1-2 meyer lemons?

2 comments:

FinnyKnits said...

First, let me recommend Luscious Lemon Desserts as it is my main source for lemon dessert recipes and it has never let me down.

Sadly, that Martha cake, while good, didn't come out 100%. As most things Martha tend to do. I do hate her.

Anyway - with 1-2 lemons, I'd recommend the "Ultimate Lemon Pound Cake" from the book. I've made it with and without poppyseeds (I love poppyseeds) and it is HANDS DOWN the best pound cake I've had. Ever.

It's good. And worth buying the book for.

Also, I'm more of a melons girl, so if you're looking at someone's lemons, they're not mine.

Jeph said...

Forgot to get back to this!

After your recommendation I added the lemon book to my wishlist - maybe I'll get it for Xmas!!! And I've always LOOOVED lemon stuff - most years growing up my bday cake was a lemon boxed cake mix. Then in adulthood I received homemade lemon pound cake for a few birthdays. YUUUUM!

Don't hate Martha!! LOL

I don't check out too many melons. But if it'll make you feel good, I'll be sure to check yours out! >;-)