Sunday, December 07, 2008

Stir fry for dinner

The new Cook's Country magazine has a cashew chicken recipe that looks GREAT in the pictures - but of course I didn't really have all the stuff (like the snow peas, water chestnuts, or mirin - kinda vital ingredients). But by the time I'd realized I was out of half the stuff, I'd already decided it was 7pm, I was prepared to thaw some chicken, and we were having Chinese for dinner! I wasn't ready for ANOTHER meal of too-orangey beef stew (come back later for that story!)...

So I flipped through some other cookbooks for a sauce (and proceeded to double it even though we were only going to have half the amount of chicken breasts!), dug the broccoli from the crisper drawer, and raided some cashews that were intended for Christmas - and here's what we had for dinner...



Sure, it was a bit more tangy than expected (an issue of too much rice wine vinegar and not enough sherry in place of rice wine?), but we both agree that, once we got past the tanginess, it turned out pretty good. And hello - it had cashews in it - YUM!

1 comment:

Peter said...

Cashews definitely make for a great stir fry. It certainly photographed well.